Performs installation, modification, repair and maintenance of voice, video and data cabling systems and equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Installs UTP copper, fiber optic, and other audio and video cable and connectors.
- Installs active and passive voice, video, and data hardware.
- Installs outlets, pulls cable, performs fire stopping and pre-termination including organizing, forming, dressing and labeling cables to industry standards.
- Termination, assembly and installation of 8-pin modular connectors, coaxial connectors, light-crimp connectors, compression connectors, solder connectors and optical fiber connectors.
- Tests copper and fiber (multimode and single mode) cables to required certification parameters utilizing appropriate test equipment as required.
- Diagnoses and corrects copper and optical fiber problems.
- Performs removal and demolition of abandoned cables.
- References industry standards including ANSI, EIA/TIA, and local and National Electric Code.
- Performs cable splices for copper and optical fiber (mechanical and fusion).
- Performs work in retrofit and new construction environments and implement cut-overs.
- Operates hand and power tools effectively.
- Attends training and safety meetings; works safely at all times utilizing necessary Personal Protection Equipment; demonstrates safe working practices to other technicians.
- Maintains consistency and quality in delivery of all projects.
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for company assets including but not limited to vehicles, tools, and other test equipment.
- Understands floor plans, equipment layouts, line diagrams, control diagrams, rack elevations, and other architectural, mechanical and electrical drawings.
- Represents MBM Technology Solutions in a professional manner at all times.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations as well as policies and procedures of MBM in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behaviors.
- Supports and conducts self in a manner consistent with customer service expectations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High School Diploma or GED.
1 year experience in a related field.
May consider an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
BICSI certifications a plus.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Maintains positive outlook and strong sense of motivation and company pride.
- Ability to follow established methodology and procedures.
- Ability to work extended hours (overtime) as needed.
- Ability to be regularly scheduled for on-call status if needed.
- Ability to work both indoors and outdoors.
- Position requires daily travel to worksites; must be able to travel out of town/state/country for work.
- Must possess valid driver’s license and be insurable for any necessary business use of company vehicle.
- Strong technical and customer interaction skills.
- Superb customer service skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work in fast paced environment.
Other Skills and Abilities
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is constantly required to sit, talk, see, hear, and use hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand; move about, climb steps or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.